In the course of almost 10 years of operation, GMS progressively refined its approach to organizing and implementing short-term technical supported, and has consequently identified the ingredients or best practices it considers to be essential to producing high-quality short-term technical support for grants from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund).
Best practices include these:
- Scenario-based learning to produce assignment-ready consultants
- A team approach to implementing assignments, which ensures the the requisite technical skills, language proficiency and cultural competence is available to serve the client
- An information management system to support the management of the wide range of data related to technical-support assignments
- A reliable logistics system to support administrative management of a large volume of assignments
- The use of technical managers during the planning implementation and follow-up phase of assignments
- A framework and system for measuring results of technical-support assignments
The results of GMS short-term assignments are captured in these success stories.