Leveraging HIV, TB, and Malaria control programs to address NCDs – December 14-15, 2017

Restriced Content: You need to be logged in and a member to see forums.

Q5: Who else should be engaged to optimize services for NCDs?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Sarah Konopka

The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development recognizes NCDs as a major challenge and commits to reducing premature mortality from NCDs by one-third by 2030, through prevention and treatment (SDG target 3.4). Given the complexity of NCDs, their risk factors, and drivers that include rapid, unplanned urbanization, globalization of unhealthy lifestyles, and population ageing, a comprehensive and multisectoral approach is required to achieve global targets.

Stacy Lu
      Participant

How about community health workers for mental health? What was the role of community mental health workers in the Nigeria project, if any? There are a relatively few psychiatrists/psychologists in the country to serve the population, correct? There have been efforts in various countries over the years that have met with some success, but it seems they take much collective will and persistence.

Megan Kearns

I would be interested in hearing about any experiences using community health workers to provide mental health support, and how they were trained and supported. Several years ago I was working in Guyana where the number of mental health professionals was extremely limited, as I think is likely the case in many countries, and we couldn’t find resources to provide mental health referrals or support for HIV positive clients.

Sarah Konopka

Adherence counsellors were trained under the CaTSS project to identify signs of depression and other mental health disorders and make referrals to care. In many of our programs (Angola, Malawi, Nigeria, Ethiopia), expert clients or peer supporters (like mentor mothers, teen leaders, sex worker peer leaders, and MSM peer leaders) provide targeted adherence support to people living with HIV. Where training on mental health screening and referrals is not already included, I would think we should look for opportunities to do so. Careful design to prevent additional stigma or discrimination must be incorporated.

Andrew Etsetowaghan
        Participant

Thanks Stacy for your comments.It is estimated that there are just about hundred (100) psychiatrist in Nigeria as at 2014 , making a ratio of 1 psychiatrist to 1. 7 million people. As stated by Sarah the CaTSS project was focused on training our adherence counselors. Community health extension workers have limited training with regards mental health , with 70 % now working with health facilities due HRH challenges at Primary health care levels

Amaechi Okafor
      Participant

A multisectoral approach is required to optimize services for NCDs. Active engagement with stakeholders at various levels from the national, regional and local government levels is crucial. At the community level, opinion leaders, gatekeepers and influencers are key in awareness creation, sensitizing and mobilizing people on the availability of services and need to access the services. Support groups of people living with HIV can also be used a s medium to mobilize their members for service uptake.

Tom Hall

Also, using SBCC platforms that raise awareness at the community level can be leveraged to incorporate messages and awareness-raising about NCDs including what they are, signs and symptoms and what and where one should go to seek consultation. Perhaps some form of sensitization for CHWs in this context would be relevant.

Meredith Schlussel
      Participant

I am interested to hear if anyone in this seminar have engaged disabled persons organizations (DPOs) or physical rehabilitation centers around the world as NCDs are a major cause of disability (both physical and non physical) world wide. Often physical rehab services are housed under the NCD department of the MOH, like in Madagascar for example. Have you seen any collaboration or engagement elsewhere?

Here is a link I found particularly informative from the WHO regarding NCDs and disability: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/94/3/15-156869/en/

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.